What is excel:
- Excel is a software program that allows users to enter and manipulate data. Students in grades 3-12 can learn to use Excel successfully -- even if their teachers are not expert technology or Excel users.
- Spreadsheet: Basic excel document
- Example: A1, C10
Creating the spreadsheet
- Create the following spreadsheet
- Click in cell “D2”
- Click the “Edit Formula” button
- Select the “Average” option.
- Make sure that in the number 1 box it says “B2:C2”
· We don’t want to do the formula for each cell so here is a shortcut.
o Hover you mouse pointer over the bottom right hand corner of cell D2.
o It should now change from a pointer into a “+” sign.
o Left click and hold, then drag down the “D” column. This will now put that formula in each row.
o You should now see averages in each row.
· Now select cell B10.
· Click on the “Edit Formula” button again.
· Click on the dropdown button and select Average.
o Make sure that the next box in the “Number1” says “B2:B9”
o Click OK button.
· You should now see the “Total Average Temp.” in cell B10
o Again, we don’t want to have to input the formula for each column so hover over the bottom right corner of cell B10 until you get the “+” pointer.
o Left click and drag to your right a few cells.
o You should now see the averages across each column.
Now lets create a chart
- Highlight the data that you want involved in the chart.
- Click on the “Chart Wizard” icon.
- Select the type of chart you would like to have.
- Click “Next”
- Explore the options in the following area.
- Click Next
- Give your chart a title and play with the options.
- Click “Next”
- Click “Finish” in the next box.
- You should now see the following chart.